Are you visiting the water?
We have prepared testkits for people to buy or borrow when they visit fresh or salt water. Get more information on getting a testkit.
While you can borrow a testkit without in-person training, we highly recommend it. Here are our next training sessions:
July 19 from 12-1pm at Stanley Park in New Edinburgh (tickets and details here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/water-rangers-water-quality-testing-with-mp-mona-fortier-tickets-35822792938 )
Monday July 24 from 6-7:30pm (come for either 6pm, 6:30pm or 7pm for a half an hour) at Westboro Beach
Monday August 7 from 6-7:30pm (come for either 6pm, 6:30pm or 7pm for a half an hour) at Westboro Beach
What you do:
- Get a testkit (Testkits can be bought or borrowed from locations around Ottawa. If you or your organization would like to sponsor a borrowing testkit, get in touch.)
- Get trained (in person, by reading the guide in the testkit, or by watching the video below)
- Sign up for an account on https://app.waterrangers.ca/users/sign_up
- Learn how to use Water Rangers (see video below)
- Watch video on how to use your testkit (below)
- Bring the kit to the water to test. Use your field guide to make sure you conduct your tests effectively
- Try to choose a testing location that you’ll be able to find, describe, and return to.
- Try and conduct tests over time (one week apart is perfect) to create trend graphs.
- Take photos and give context
- Help us make the kit better! Let us know your thoughts on the whole experience: what was frustrating? what was surprising?
Freshwater Explorer Training
Ocean Explorer Training
How to use Water Rangers
Thank you to Ottawa Wavemakers, Hub Ottawa, WWF Canada and Ontario150 for supporting these testkits!
This program is in its second year, and we’re still improving all the time. By participating, you will be asked to help us improve too 🙂