As an organization serving communities, Water Rangers requires staff and participants to follow the following code of conduct to protect everyone’s right to feel safe, secure and supported.
Water Rangers’ staff, including facilitators, volunteers and partners, must:
- Treat other staff members and participants with respect and dignity;
- Avoid any activity, comment or contact that endangers participants or makes them uncomfortable by violating reasonable boundaries;
- Use photos and other creative works only with permission;
- Refrain from any activity that may be reasonably regarded as posing a risk to the security or personal integrity of participants and the non-profit generally.
When working with youth, they must:
- Establish, respect, and maintain boundaries with all youth participants, including refraining from any communication outside the context of the non-profit’s programming;
- Consider the final outcomes of any behaviour, as well as youth participants’ reaction to any activities, conversations, or interactions so as to avoid embarrassing, shaming, or humiliating them;
- Avoid any activity, comment or physical contact that endangers youth participants or makes them uncomfortable by violating reasonable boundaries;
- Refrain from offering youth participants “special” treatment that falls outside of the non-profits’ mandate, or that may (or may appear to) place them at risk of exploitation;
- Treat all suspicions or allegations of domestic child abuse or neglect seriously, and report them following established procedures;
Water Rangers ensures safe participation by requiring them to abide by the following rules of conduct:
- Refrain from any behaviours (actions, remarks, attitudes) that are violent or aggressive in nature;
- Report to a staff member any behaviour or activity that causes discomfort or suspicion;
- Avoid all foul, profane, or inappropriate language and behaviour;
- Maintain safety protocols around water and minimize risk by using life-jackets;
- Refrain from trespassing or breaking the law in any way while water testing;
- Refrain from posting inaccurate or false data.
Water Rangers has a zero tolerance policy toward violence: any behaviour deemed violent, including but not limited to physical violence, intimidation, emotional aggression, property damage and bullying, will result in immediate removal from the system. If payments are involved, there is no reimbursement if participants are asked to leave due to violations of the code.
Similarly, to ensure a workplace free of violence and disrespect, Water Rangers reserves the right to refuse service to participants who exhibit hostile behaviours toward any of its employees, including acts of shouting or swearing, harassment, condescension, personal attacks, public humiliation, threats and intimidation.
Finally, to ensure the system remains useful and accurate, Water Rangers reserves the right to remove any data that has demonstrated reasonable doubt to its validity.