Happy World Water Day! Spring is coming, and that means that Canada’s summer season is coming up soon!
We’re getting ready for the big thaw too…. and have big plans for our official ‘beta’ launch! We’ve got flyers printed, t-shirts made, and are ready for everyone to try out our app!
Our Spring app development plan
In order to get ready for summer, we’re busy working on new features that we plan to have launched before May:
- French! The app will be bilingual, with the help of Association de la Rivière Magog
- Groups: You can now associate your observations with a group and will soon be able to filter the map to only show you that group’s observations
- Groups display: We will show all observations for a group on their profile
- Importing data: We will add water quality data from Rideau Valley Conservation Authority to the map!
We also have some potential partnerships brewing. These will give us the resources to get more done. Here are a few of the things we’re hoping to accomplish:
- Pollution reporting: Hooking it into the group admin platform, allowing users to submit anonymously and more
- Resolving issues: Ability to say that a problem has been taken care of.
- Native apps: So we can collect data even when we don’t have the internet.
We are currently looking to work with a group to help us fund the development of the Native Apps. If you or a group you know of would be interested, please get in touch.
Follow along our dev process here: Our roadmap
Our Spring publicity plan
We have already been visiting with lots of groups, including Ottawa Riverkeeper, Rideau Valley Conservation Authority, Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority, RA Canoe and Camping club and more! Please feel free to come and join us at some of these events 🙂
- This past weekend, I volunteered at The Outdoor and Adventure Show with the Ottawa Riverkeeper (see photo above). They are still our primary partner and we’ll be going on lots of adventures with them!
- Today: World Water Day! I’ll be attending “Working with Water from Source to Tap – World Water Day event”
- March 30: Impact Academy graduation. These guys have taught us loads about starting up a social enterprise. We are so grateful! We will be pitching Water Rangers
- April 8: Present to Lake Association Presidents Meeting for Rideau Valley Conservation Authority
- April 12: Sharing a booth with the Ottawa Riverkeeper at City of Ottawa: Engaging Citizen Scientists
- May 5: Field trip with Brila group in Ottawa. We’ll explore a stream!
- May 7: Jane’s Walk with Riverwatch member Howard at Deschênes Rapids
More little things will get sprinkled in, of course. With so much to do, we’re excited about the upcoming season. We’ll be working closely with partners new and old to make sure our app works well for citizens in a variety of situations.