Water Rangers in the UK!
Our UK protocol is slightly different from the one in Canada and the United States. The ‘normal’ values for nutrients (phosphorus and nitrates) are naturally higher, which means that field tests can be used! If you’re interested in purchasing a UK testkit, please contact us.
Groups currently testing in the UK
River Wey Trust
- About the River Wey Trust water monitoring program (their website)
- Data collected on Water Rangers for the Wey River Catchment: River Wey Trust
- About the Zero Guildford water monitoring program (their website)
- Data collected on the Water Rangers plaform for Wey River Catchment: Zero Guildford
Tewkesbury Nature Reserve
- About Tewkesbury Nature Reserve program (their website)
- Data collected on the Water Rangers plaform for Tewkesbury Nature Reserve
UK water testing Protocol
Consult your field guide for complete instructions!
- Go to your site.
- Hang the thermometer in the shade. Record air temperature.
- Attach reacher stick. Rinse the sample cup 3 times. Take a water sample 15cm below the surface.
- Put the conductivity meter in the water. Wait until values stabilize. Record conductivity and water temperature.
- Take a phosphate sample and set a timer for 5 minutes.
- Take a nitrate sample and set the timer for 3 minutes.
- Dip in a teststrip. Record chlorine, pH, alkalinity & hardness.
- Add context and data.
- Wipe off your sample cup and reacher stick with your towel.
- Pack up your testkit!
A video on uploading data specific to UK groups is coming soon! In the meantime, please take a look at this tutorial on how to use the data platform.