Water Rangers is a non-profit organization aiming to make water science easy to understand so that ALL Canadians can participate in the protection of water. We deepen our impact by providing tools and training so that anyone can understand, test, and protect waterways. Our open-data platform is built for crowdsourcing water quality data. We’re always experimenting with new ideas on how to motivate and teach.
Title: Water Rangers Store Coordinator
About the position
We are a small, dynamic social enterprise. We’re looking for a new store coordinator for our water quality testkit store! This person would be responsible for assembling and shipping out our testing equipment from our location on Chemin des Sables in Val-des-Monts, Quebec. We pride ourselves on design and user experience, and so the successful candidate would go above and beyond to welcome new water testers to our community, help solve problems and create great experiences for those purchasing and using our kits.
As part of coordinating and managing the store, the candidate would be responsible for:
- Assembling water monitoring testkits
- Tracking inventory
- Ordering supplies
- Maintaining the store space and products
- Managing orders and shipping testkits
- Customer service
- Managing local student helpers for some of the pre-assembly (following COVID protocols).
- Our store’s busiest season is spring to get ready for the launch of the testing season. Throughout the summer, more work is in making sure new testers have the resources (whether digital or physical) they need to successfully test each month. Based on your other skills, expect to spend 1/3 of your time during the summer helping with design, communication, education or development.
As we scale, there are also some great opportunities for someone with technical skills to help us design and build systems to keep track of our client’s successes. The candidate will have many opportunities to develop new skills. Water Rangers strongly believes in mentoring so that candidates are set up for success and growth. This is a position that requires the person to take responsibility and ownership for solving problems and making sure that details are attended to.
The ideal candidate would have:
- The ability to work well independently and under minimal supervision
- Experience running an online store (using WooCommerce is a bonus)
- Experience in ordering supplies and other procurement practices
- Experience in optimizing sales (through new relationships and digital techniques)
- Comfortable with analytics, creating sales reports, and setting targets
- Demonstrated ability to show ownership over projects
- Excellent communication skills (bilingual is a bonus)
- Strong initiative and problem-solving skills, but also willing to ask for help
- Detail-oriented and able to think about holistic systems (with lead times and contingencies)
- Passion for water
- Able to pack up and ship orders from our store location in Val-des-Monts (35 minutes from downtown Ottawa)
- Valid drivers licence and access to a car to get to our Val-des-Monts location as well as to ship orders. Candidate would be required to be on-site a minimum of 2-3 days per week.
The job details:
- Six-month contract with the opportunity to extend
- 35 hours a week*
- Stipend to cover phone expenses
- $40,000/year + commission
- 3 weeks holiday (pro-rated)
- Able to start ASAP
*For the right candidate, we may be able to accommodate a part-time position. You would still need to be able to commit to a minimum of 20 hours and 4 days per week.
To be eligible, you must:
- 30 years of age or younger at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment**; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
**International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada.
Send your CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Water Rangers Store Coordinator application”
We will be interviewing qualified candidates as they come in, so please submit your application as soon as possible to be considered.
Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please do not phone.