We’re looking for a talented developer/data scientist to help us implement machine learning into the Water Rangers App using React Native to help validate citizen science for a minimum of 6-months. Our app is built in React Native and connected to a Ruby-on-Rails website through an API. Most of your work on this project will be on the React Native portion.
Much of the project will be to perfect and implement the project described here. You will be working with a Data Scientist, who is reading the colour results, a UX designer to help define and test user experience, and a Front-end developer to style. Your role would be in back-end and functional development and performance.
We are a small distributed team. The ideal candidate would be based in Ottawa or Montreal. Weekly stand-up meetings will be combined with communication through Slack.
Duties and responsibilities
- Integration into React Native app
- Working with front-end developer to build supporting features for better user-experiences
- Improvements to API and web-app where necessary (supported by RoR developers)
- Improve performance for Android users
- Build infrastructure that helps users take good tests to predicts water conditions using machine learning
- Test citizen photo samples to analyse in different conditions (lighting, testing errors) to return best results
- Integrate reading image to match test to the correct data fields
Knowledge and skills
- Experience building and implementing APIs
- Experience in building machine learning models
- Working on small team, working independently
- Bonus: Experience with Ruby-on-Rails, working in map-based applications, colour detection
- Strong portfolio of material for us to review that demonstrates your skills
Due to funding restrictions, candidates must:
- Post-secondary graduates
- No more than 30 years of age at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada*
- Legally allowed to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations
- Not receiving employment insurance during their internship
- Available to work for at least six months
- Not previous participants of a federal youth employment program
Compensation : $6,250/month for a minimum of 6-months.
Send your resume and some project examples to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 6, 2019 at 6pm.
Please include answers to the following questions:
- How do you think technology can contribute to citizen science?
- What’s important to you in a coding project?